REPRESENTS INDEPENDENT NEW ZEALAND MUSIC
“Representing Independent New Zealand Music Rights Holders”
IMNZ is a non-profit trade association providing collective benefits and exclusive opportunities to all our members to help grow their businesses. We stand for fairness and equality for all music and encourage open and transparent systems and industry in which creative innovation is at the centre.
WHAT WE DO:
Celebrate, Educate, Collaborate and Advocate
Celebrate. IMNZ constantly recognises the amazing music created by our members which is at the heart of the organisation. We celebrate these through our annual Taite Music Prize, our weekly newsletter and independent charts as well as various showcases across the year.
Educate. IMNZ offers educational opportunities to aid the development and growth of all our members. We aim to increase and share our knowledge and provide the necessary tools and connections to further their business.
Collaborate. To maintain our Vision and visibilty within the global music community, our membership are represented internationally through global conferences and participating in networking opportunities.
Advocate. IMNZ aims to give independent New Zealand music a collaborative voice and representation, both nationally and internationally. We offer collective bargaining opportunities and a connection to global organisations including the Worldwide Independent Network, Merlin and our compatriot independent trade associations.
“A thriving independent music culture and industry in New Zealand”
IMNZ’s core values are:
- Members First: We are dedicated to advocating the values and interests of our members and the New Zealand independent music sector in negotiations with the government, other cultural agencies and peak music industry bodies;
- Think Long-Term: We assist in the long-term educational development and knowledge of our members by providing them with the necessary tools to develop their art and grow their business;
- Foster Our Marketplace: Our purpose is to provide collective group benefits and opportunities for growth for our members and their businesses;
- Celebrate The Best: To celebrate and promote our independent New Zealand music success stories.
These values are important to IMNZ to ensure that we operate in our members’ best interests at all times and continue to serve their needs and requirements through advocacy, education, collaboration and collective benefit development.
Our continued operations based on these core values will help drive the success of our members, and ultimately serve our primary purpose of fostering the growth and development of New Zealand’s independent music industry.
BECOME A MEMBER:
IMNZ Members include record labels, self-released artists, managers, publishers, distributors: anyone who represents (as the artist or on behalf of) an independent New Zealand music copyright.
Our members release the bulk of New Zealand music, including commercially successful artists as well as niche music genres.
Some of our members include:
Fat Freddys Drop
Flying Nun Records
The Phoenix Foundation
View the full list of our members here.
- LABEL MEMBERSHIP – for independent labels, managers, distributors and artists who represent two or more artists.
- INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP – for self-releasing artists, managers and small labels who represent a single artist.
If you are an artist or manager who wishes to join IMNZ and also currently work with a label or distributor who is already an IMNZ member – please get in touch about our discount rate on the individual membership tier.
To join IMNZ, click here.
Meet the Board:
IMNZ maintains a board consisting of eight independent record labels/distributors/websites – these are:
IMNZ Board 2017/2018
- Matthew Davis – Flying Nun Records, Auckland (Co – Chairperson)
- Mikee Tucker – Loop Recordings, Auckland (Co – Chairperson)
- Scott Muir – Dunedinmusic.com Ltd, Dunedin (Deputy Chairperson)
- Anna Coddington, Teaset Records, Auckland
- Paul Huggins – Rough Peel Records, Welllington
- Andrew Maitai – Powertool Records, Auckland
- Mel Parsons, Cape Road Recordings, Christchurch
- Pip Ryan-Kidd – Southbound Records, Auckland
- Teremoana Rapley, Quabax Wax, Auckland
The board of IMNZ have appointed Paul Huggins as Secretary and Mikee Tucker as Treasurer for IMNZ.
Meet the Staff:
IMNZ have staff members who work for the organisation – they are:
Dylan Pellett, General Manager
Jade Keywood, Member Liaison